Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom, Or, Goodnight Mrs. Kalabash, Wherever You Are

Good Morning,

Today is the day my mother was born. The daughter of a school principal she loved to live a very ordered life. To that end she never really traveled much and never did much of anything exciting except drive.

The woman could drive a car. My fondest memories of her were with her dark red hair flying behind the wheel of her big ol Pontiac. Freedom from us 5 hellions, freedom from a world that was changing far to fast for her - and that was back when things were slow by todays standards. I never really knew her, what she really loved or what she wanted. She worked and I knew our nanny more than my parents. Mom died at age 48. I never had an adult conversation with her so we died relative strangers to each other.

Interestingly enough she was born on the same day in the same year that the Ejdio of Aticama was founded. I would like to think her soul passes by there now and again.

Salud

7 comments:

  1. Interesting blog as usual. You write so well, and I enjoyed reading about your mother. Why did she pass on at such an early age? I will be thinking of you on the road to read Mexico. I read George daily and his son Dave's blog as well. Glad you are able to escape the maddness that happens this time of year in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Again
    I'd like to just say I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip. How I envy you. Drive carefully
    Every time we left for a holiday my grandmother would always say to my Dad "Remember you have to drive for the other fellow as well". I have often thought that was wonderful advice and so true.
    I've tried to leave notes on your son's and Weng's blogs but they don't have the Anonymous option on thier comments.
    Take care,
    Elaine in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8"

    Yeah he's doing a bang up job so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty clever, Anonymous #2. I did look up that quote and you are nasty. Oh, well, I don't see this as a great place to post political comments. I think Francis is a lefty and so am I but better just to have fun here and discuss family and travel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SF Kid
    I guess I'm awfully dense, but I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  6. A mixup Elaine. Sorry. I sent you an email.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the explanation SF Kid, I thought the comment was for me.

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete