Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Thought About What America Needs

Good Morning Friends,

I hope that you have been enjoying my Aticama Tale, I am having fun telling you about it and will post more about it again tomorrow (it may take a year to tell the whole tale!). I must, however, turn my thoughts today to the issue of our time here in the USA. If politics annoy you then I would suggest you listen to some of my tunes in ThinkMusic.

At the risk of losing readership I bring up the topic of Health Care in America. This issue is being decided as I write by our 'representatives' in Washington DC. While money has never been my driving force I do confess to the belief in good wages for hard work. We do, however, live in a society where greed has gotten the better part of our economy. The results are most apparent in the horror that has become our health care system. It is insane. It is not fair that 95% of our citizens are being crushed under an unnecessary financial burden and stand to lose their very homes if they become ill or cannot make an insurance payment. We have the very best science, staff, and facilities in the world yet we have the worst overall 'common man' coverage of any industrialized country in the world.

I have heard and studied the arguments on both sides and I am fully convinced that it is just plain wrong to put profit between you and your doctor. Wrong. The fearmongers and greedheads that drive the corporate profit margin on your health hire the very best advertisers in the world to convince you that white is black and that zebras have spots. I was lucky enough to attend public hearings last week here in Portand before the city council supporting the concept of 'Single Payer' health insurance. Moving, eloquent testimony that proved, without doubt, the need for reform. In a strong resolution the council unanimously voted to send a resolution to the Federal Congress to adopt this reform.

I applaud them and stand by them. Again, I welcome your comments and encourage all of you to open your minds to what is going on around us in our country regarding this most important issue for our common future.

Salud (good health)

ps, I have not yet seen Michael Moore's new film on corporate america but plan to soon. A documentary on the things that affect us all.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Thanks even more for your well reasoned conclusions.

    Earlier this year (during President Obama's European tour) I stayed in an inexpensive Bangkok hotel that offered only one "American" cable news alternative, the very one that I usually avoid ... quite the learning experience. Fortunately, Australian, German, Middle Eastern, and British networks were available. Otherwise, I would have been convinced that the entire trip was a total disaster for the country, our President, and, especially, our First Lady.

    It did make me realize how deadly a steady dose of misinformation can be. If unchallenged lies are repeated often enough, their very familiarity breeds credence. I encourage you to continue using your forum. We need it.

    I recently wrote my representatives requesting that they strongly consider thinking outside the FOX and pass a health care bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get the figure 95%? Seems to me it's closer to 95% of our citizens actually have some kind of health insurance. The left likes to say 47 million people in this country don't have insurance. If you compare that to the 300 million that live here then it's about 85% that actually have insurance. Now you also have to understand that about 12 million of that 47 million are illegal immigrants and shouldn't get health insurance that's paid for by citizens. Now you're at about 89%. And then you also have to subtract the 20 million that could actually get insurance but opt not to the number is only about 12 million un-insured that can't afford it without help. Now the number is closer to the 95% I cite.

    The bottom line is we should leave people alone who are happy with their insurance and worry about those who can't afford it. That's what this country should be doing. Not spending a trillion dollars that we don't have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments.

    I beg to differ, however, with Don's reasoning on several points. First and foremost, I state that 95% of the population is crushed under the financial burden of the cost of health insurance. I cannot speak, with any accuracy, as to how many people actually have insurance or what the breakdown of 'legal' or illegal people living in the USA who may need insurance. I am quite sure however that the 5% of the population that control the countries finance are happy about their insurance! Second, in the overall richest country in the world, everyone should be able to recieve medical care no matter how much money they dont have. It is a fact, repeat, a fact, that you dont have to be a legal resident in most industrialized country's to recieve needed medical care. It is also true that the tax base of said countries pay for said care but I would pose this question to all - is it correct to spend a trillion (or more) dollars on the military industrial complex supporting unneeded war or fear of war (that benefits really only the tiniest fraction of people) or spend it on the health of its population? Again, I say, "follow the money". These are my opinions and I dont expect everyone to feel the same way but I would ask you to ask yourself "Why DO I think the way I do?"

    If you have an open mind you may be suprised!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can beg to differ all you want but it doesn't change facts. The fact is my numbers are correct and yours are pulled from thin air.

    You even admit "I cannot speak, with any accuracy, as to how many people actually have insurance or what the breakdown of 'legal' or illegal people living in the USA who may need insurance". Why do you make a statement and then admit you don't know anything about the facts of that statement?

    Here's another "fact" for you. Fidel Castro killed a lot of civilians because they disagreed with him. Does that mean we should too? A far out idea but just because some countries do something doesn't mean we should.

    As to your question about spending for the military you might want to read the US Constitution. That's actually one of the only things our government is really supposed to be doing. Health care for all is NOT in the constitution. And that's a FACT.

    Your statement that we support "unneeded war or fear of war" is just your opinion. It's not shared by the majority. Most of the country understands that we need a strong military because we have enemies all over the world.

    As for health insurance I'll say it again in case you missed it. We should leave people alone who are happy with their insurance and do something for those who don't have it. That wouldn't take a trillion dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will gracefully close this thread by saying that my air is not thin and that I stand by my remarks.

    ReplyDelete