Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Road To Aticama, Part 5, The Giant Crab

Good 4am Readers,

Back on the trail......... It was a perfect sunset on the western beach. The beer was cold and there was an old restaurant a stone's throw away so we walked over and had a bit to eat. The roof was made of Palapa (thatch) and the fading daylight made colors that cement themselves into your mind for all time. The sounds of the birds and insects and ocean waves and children laughing and animals surrounded us in a fashion that I had never known. The camping gear came out and we made a small campfire right there on the beach. No 'No Fires/Camping' signs. No hassles. No worries. That night the stars were as big and bright and clear as the lights of Broadway, only more real. We all talked about the trip and everyone was excited about this place and what wonders lie beyond. Not me, I decided right then and there that I really did not need or even want to go any farther. I reached over for my flashlight only to find it was being carried away by a giant blue crab in it's solo giant pincer. Who needs mechanical light when the stars lead the way?

The world is full of beautiful, wonderful and fascinating places - many just as nice and inviting I am sure, but you only have one life and I knew that I didn't want to spend it looking for something that was there, under my feet.

Salud

4 comments:

  1. I am certainly enjoying your story. Your memories are vivid and colorful. Thank you for sharing. Also, enjoy the music selections very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your your kind remarks!
    fran

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years after you when I first arrived in Aticama, I wondered about finding paradise too. I thought to myself, "Why should I move?"

    "I am already there!"

    Su amigo,
    Jorge

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only problem w/ Paradise is it seems to get discovered - then you have to fight its ruination or go looking for another one! Glad you found yours and it is holding up so far. Again, great descriptive writing. You might like this guy's articles - he has a lively style of writing, too. http://www.examiner.com/x-22480-Guatemala-Travel-Examiner (sorry, might have to cut and paste).

    ReplyDelete