Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Lazy Day With President Jackson

I just re-read my entry from yesterday and it is very bittersweet. I spent nearly all of yesterday and today soaking up the sun and reading the book 'Andrew Jackson, American Lion'. I love history and have read many of the biography's of early US Presidents. I confess that I have been somewhat jaded towards Jackson, no doubt due to the unflattering historical account of his place in the early years of this country I was taught in the Catholic Schools of the 1960's. I was raised by a woman of color who's mother had been one of the last children born into slavery in this country. Her name was Josephine Ross and this is not the time to tell her story but I am reminded, again, on this, the day after the 4th of July, just how far as a country we have come. Anyway, the book was a good read, not as good as the recent book on John Adams in my opinion, but worthwhile insight on what the true cost of freedom was, is, and may be.
Tomorrow I start work again after a slow medical recovery that seems to have taken ages.....

Salud

No comments:

Post a Comment