Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Importance Of Judical Politics


Not everyone is political and that is the way it is. Those who are political have made things the way they are. And we all live on the same ground and breath the same air. The reason today's Supreme Court nominations are important to me is because we have young children. Today's actions will affect the world that is evolving and that they will live in. In her post yesterday Weng talks about us meeting face to face for the first time. That meeting was possible (when talking about legally marrying a person of another color) only because of the actions the Supreme Court took when I was in high school. As a society we have come a very long way during the course of my life and I am grateful. Yet please understand that, while I was born a white male in this country, I think that it is, somehow wrong at the core of all things, for a group of mostly old white men to stand in judgment of the workings of all races, genders, religions and personal freedoms in this country. Wouldn't it be great, when I am 100 years old, to look at the Supreme Court and see it a mirror of us all and of all of our values? The world looks to the USA for example. Let us make the best of this opportunity.

I don't get on my stump all that often but I believe it is necessary from time to time to provide balance and peace of mind for me.

Salud

6 comments:

  1. How about the most qualified people as judges? Instead of worrying about what race or sex they are how about just wanting the most qualified?

    That's the one thing that always bothers me about people like you who reverse discriminate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100%. You expressed yourself very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Don, Phil and Amp,

    Thank your for your comments! I agree completely with all of you - the most qualified people should be selected for the job, however, I also strongly believe that our society is in a transitional time, going from the mindset of the racialy polarized times of the last century to a mindset that transends race, gender, religion and preference. This transition will take time, perhaps several more generations, so it is necessary for all parts of our society to be represented at the most crucial part of our melting pot - the supreme court. I look foreward to a time when all are judged by those are selected, be it an all white court, an all black court, an all hispanic court. I want no part of reverse discrimination - i want the balance that only diverse life experiences can bring to the law. History shows us that the framers of our great Constitution were the real founders of modern day freedom, yet many were slave owners. We have come a long way as a people in our thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The good news is - Sotomayor is Very Highly Qualified as has been proven thru the hearings and her written decisions (and her academic achievements). Not to worry Don...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Not to worry"? That's like the saying "I'm from the government and I'm here to help". ;)

    Sotomayor is pretty close to Ginsberg in her politics. I believe she's going to be about the same in her judicial decisions. The only thing that saves us is she's replacing another lefty. The people who believe courts are for interpreting the law and not making the law still have a majority. Next time I don't think we'll be that lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/us/20iht-letter.html?_r=1
    Good link. But you'll have to cut and paste it as I don't know how to make a link active in the comments.

    ReplyDelete